Kerr Philip compressed and croppedThe White Lion Society has generously given the College of Arms a portrait of Philip Walter Kerr MVO FSA (1886-1941), who became Rouge Croix Pursuivant in 1928. The fourth son of Admiral Lord Walter Talbot Kerr, he was educated at the Oratory School, Edgbaston, and Pembroke College, Cambridge. After serving in the army in the First World War and in the Egyptian Civil Service from 1919-24, he died on active service as a Pilot-Officer (Intelligence) RAF at Shallufa in Egypt during the Second World War. He is dressed for the coronation of King George VI in 1937, in his tabard, and holding his staff ensigned with the Badge of Rouge Croix.

The artist was Charles Louis Geoffroy-Dechaume (1877-1944), a French Anglophile who can be identified from his monogram on the portrait. He lived in Sussex prior to 1914 but returned to France at the outbreak of the First World War and served in the 275th Regiment of Infantry, losing his left leg in 1914. He spent the Second World War at his house at Valmondois, north of Paris, where he was involved in the Resistance. His daughter Marie-France was also active, helping from 1941 to 1943 to rescue Allied pilots who had been shot down over France.

Parliament Rolls

17 October 2019

The College of Arms holds four painted Parliament Rolls, each showing the lords spiritual and temporal who attended specific Parliaments in the reign of Henry VIII, with their shields of arms in colour. The Rolls show the order of precedence in which the lords sat, those with the most important positions sitting nearest the King. Three documents are in the form of long vellum rolled manuscripts; the fourth is in a bound volume. Other similar but less elaborate documents held at the College also feature in this exhibition.

1. NumSch 06 40Top portion of the Parliament Roll recording those who attended the Parliament held in the 31st year of the reign of Henry VIII, 1539. Depicted are the arms of Thomas (Cromwell), Earl of Essex, ‘Vicegerent of the Spirituality’; Thomas (Audley), Baron Audley of Walden, Lord Chancellor; Thomas Cranmer, Archbishop of Canterbury; Thomas (Howard), Duke of Norfolk and Lord Treasurer. Thomas Howard was also Earl Marshal, a role which involves oversight of the College of Arms. College of Arms Ms Num Sch 6/40

JOB DESCRIPTION AND ADVERTISEMENT

PROBATIONARY OFFICER OF ARMS

Organisation

The College of Arms is the official heraldic authority for England, Wales, Northern Ireland and most of the Commonwealth realms. It is responsible for the granting of new coats of arms and the recording of pedigrees. The College also maintains official registers of arms and pedigrees. The officers of arms, in addition to their ceremonial duties, advise on matters relating to dignities, honours, precedence and official symbols, and undertake genealogical, historical and other research.

The College consists of up to thirteen officers of arms, also known as heralds, individually appointed by the Crown on the recommendation of the Earl Marshal.

Moon J F compressedA grant of Arms and Crest was made to Jonathan Frederick MOON of High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, by Letters Patent of Garter and Clarenceux Kings of Arms dated 29 April 2019. College reference: Grants 182/77. The blazon reads as follows:

Arms:  Azure on a Pall reversed between in chief on the dexter an Increscent and on the sinister a Decrescent Or a Quill palewise Gules.

Crest: Upon a Helm with a Wreath Or and Azure a demi Chinese Dragon Gules holding between the forefeet a Fleur de Lys Or. 

Windsor Herald

13 July 2019

By Letters Patent under the Great Seal dated 5 July 2019, Her Majesty The Queen has been pleased to appoint John Michael Allen-Petrie, Rouge Croix Pursuivant of Arms, to the Office of Windsor Herald of Arms, vacant by the retirement of William George Hunt, Esquire, T.D.

HRH Prince Charles was created Prince of Wales and Earl of Chester by Letters Patent dated 26 July 1958. Building on the ancient tradition of bestowing this title on the eldest son and heir apparent of the Sovereign, and following the precedent set by the future Edward VIII, who was formally recognised or invested as Prince of Wales at a ceremony at Caernarfon Castle in 1911, it was decided that Prince Charles should be formally invested in a ceremony there. He would be invested by The Queen with the sword, coronet, ring, rod and mantle, whilst the Letters Patent of his creation were read in Welsh; and would then take his oath as Her Majesty’s liege man.

The Investiture of the Prince of Wales took place at Caernarfon Castle on 1 July 1969. Some footage of the ceremony may be seen here.  The ceremony was arranged by the Earl Marshal, Duke of Norfolk, with the Officers of Arms acting as his staff officers. What follows is an exhibition of some of the records of this work, which are held in the archives of the College of Arms.

1Personal flag granted to the Prince of Wales to be used in Wales. Granted by Royal Warrant, 21 May 1968. College of Arms Ms I. 83 p. 161 

Her Majesty's Government has instructed that to mark Armed Forces Week, Government buildings are encouraged to fly the Armed Forces Flag from Monday 24 June until Saturday 29 June 2016 inclusive. If flying alongside a national flag, the national flag should be in the senior position.

All Whitehall Government Buildings are also encouraged to fly the Rainbow Flag from Monday 1 July until Saturday 6 July inclusive to mark London Pride. If flying alongside a national flag, please ensure the national flag is in the senior position.

Local authorities are not bound by these instructions but may wish to follow them for guidance. Devolved administrations are responsible for issuing instructions for the flying of the Union Flag on buildings in their estate and others as necessary.

For information about Armed Forces Day flags and issues relating to the flying of flags more generally, please contact the Officer in Waiting at the College of Arms.

By Letters Patent under the Great Seal dated 13 June 2019, Her Majesty The Queen has been pleased to appoint Mark John Rosborough Scott to the office of Bluemantle Pursuivant of Arms, vacant since the promotion of Michael Peter Desmond O'Donoghue to the office of York Herald in 2012.

Mark Scott was born in Yorkshire in 1990 and educated at Leeds Grammar School and the University of Oxford, where he read Philosophy, Politics and Economics at Mansfield College and received the degree of Master of Arts.

By Letters Patent under the Great Seal dated 12 June 2019, Her Majesty The Queen has been pleased to appoint Adam Simon Tuck to the office of Rouge Dragon Pursuivant of Arms, vacant since the promotion of Clive Edwin Alexander Cheesman to the office of Richmond Herald in 2010.

Adam Tuck received his first degree, of Master of Arts in History, from the University of Cambridge (Corpus Christi College); and his second degree, of Master of Arts in Graphic Design, from the University of the Arts London (London College of Communication). Outside his heraldic work he has been a graphic designer for over ten years, including working as the in-house designer at the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA).

Royal Arms I51.131 compressedThe Royal Arms: Queen Victoria was born 200 years ago, on 24 May 1819, and came to the throne on 20 June 1837, on the death of William IV. The German possessions of the Crown passed to her uncle Ernest Augustus, Duke of Cumberland, who became King of Hanover. At a meeting of the Privy Council held on 21 July 1837 it was ordered that the Earl Marshal should appoint proper persons to attend a committee of the Council, who were to settle what alterations might be necessary to the Royal Arms as far as Hanover was concerned. The Earl Marshal appointed Sir William Woods, Clarenceux King of Arms, then acting as Deputy Garter, as well as Joseph Hawker, Richmond Herald and Charles Young, York Herald. A further meeting of the Privy Council held on 26 July received the report of the committee, which stated that the Officers of Arms had advised changes to the Royal Arms whereby the escutcheon representing the German possessions should be omitted. An illustration of the design is shown left, taken from the official records of the College of Arms. This was approved by Queen Victoria and a Royal Proclamation then issued dated 26 July 1837 setting out the new Royal Arms. The Royal Arms are still used in this form today. College reference: I.51/127.

Page 1 of 12

We use session cookies to improve your experience with our website. If you continue using our website without changing your settings, or accept, we'll assume you are happy to receive the cookies set. To find out more about how we use cookies, please read our privacy policy.
To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

I accept cookies from this site.