As a mark of respect for those that died in Paris on 13 November, the Prime Minister has asked that all Departments of Her Majesty's Government fly the Union Flag at half-mast from 8.00 a.m. on Sunday 15 November 2015.

There will be a Europe-wide minute's silence at 11.00 a.m. UK time on Monday 16 November 2015. Her Majesty's Government will observe this silence and other organisations may wish to follow suit. Flags should be kept at half-mast until after sunset on Monday, and raised to full mast thereafter.

Local authorities are not bound by this request but may wish to follow it for guidance. Devolved administrations are responsible for issuing instructions for the flying of the Union Flag on buildings in their estate and others as necessary. Any questions regarding the flying of flags should be directed in the first instance to the Officer in Waiting.

Arundel MS 29 f. 54r croppedArundel Ms 29 is a small manuscript volume with miscellaneous contents dating from the fifteenth century. It was part of the library of manuscripts collected by Thomas Howard, 14th Earl of Arundel (died 1646), part of which came to the College of Arms later in the seventeenth century.

This page, headed 'bell'm de Agencowrt', shows a list of noblemen taken prisoner by Henry V at the Battle of Agincourt on 25 October 1415. It is one of the relatively few sources for casualties on the French side at that conflict, the 600th anniversary of which is commemorated this year.

An online exhibition of documents from the archives of the College of Arms relating to Agincourt can be seen here.

Arundel 12 f. 1rThe Battle of Agincourt took place on 25th October 1415, one of a series of engagements between England and France in what would later be known as the Hundred Years' War. The English King Edward III in 1337 claimed the throne of France as his inheritance through his mother, sister of Charles IV, the last Capetian King of France. The level of conflict rose and fell over the ensuing century or more; the reign of Henry V saw France divided by civil war, and the opportunity for gains was apparent.

The English army under Henry V landed in France in August 1415 and besieged the port of Harfleur, which surrendered in late September. The English army left Harfleur on 8 October, heading for the English port of Calais. The French blocked the way several times, forcing the English to deviate from their route, so that their food supplies ran very low. When the two armies prepared to face each other in countryside outside the town of Agincourt on 25 October 1415, the English army had marched 260 miles in recent weeks, and its numbers were probably dwarfed by those of the French. However, the English army made great use of the longbow, with archers making up about five-sixths of the English fighting force. Large numbers of French crossbowmen and infantry did not deploy. The French attack, constricted by the English archers and the terrain, was ineffectual, and many men at arms became bogged down. The result was a victory for the English and a disaster for the French.

To mark the day on which Her Majesty The Queen becomes the longest-reigning sovereign in British history, instructions have been issued by the office of the Prime Minister that all buildings of Her Majesty's Government should fly the Union Flag at full mast on Wednesday 9 September 2015.

Local authorities and others are not bound by this request but may wish to follow it for guidance. Devolved administrations are responsible for issuing instructions for the flying of the Union Flag on buildings in their estate and others as necessary.

Battle of Vittoria A4 compressedThis design for a ceremonial collar for the Duke of Wellington was prepared under the direction of Garter King of Arms, Sir George Nayler, at the request of King George IV. It was first commissioned when the King was Prince Regent, according to Nayler's later account, in 1814. Ten battles in which he led the army were commemorated on ten 'Union Badges' as they were termed, although as one is Waterloo the design must only have been completed after June 1815. The names of four more battles are engraved on the cross pendant from the collar. A letter written by Nayler some time after 1820 (when the Prince Regent had inherited the throne and reigned as King George IV) describes how, having had the collar made, the King could not decide how best to present it to Wellington without offending other commanders who might feel slighted at not having also received a similar honour, and still at the time of writing had not actually given it to the Duke. It was presented in around 1825 and is now on display at Apsley House, formerly 'No. 1, London'.

For more examples of College of Arms records relating to Waterloo and to Wellington, see our online exhibition here.

The College of Arms Newsletter is produced every three months and sent automatically and free to those who subscribe. Other benefits for those who submit their names in this way include advance notice of College of Arms events, relevant publications, and media appearances.

We use session cookies to improve your experience with our website. If you continue using our website without changing your settings, or accept, we'll assume you are happy to receive the cookies set. To find out more about how we use cookies, please read our privacy policy.
To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

I accept cookies from this site.