St George's Chapel, Windsor: an exhibition of black and white photography by Eleanor Curtis opened at Windsor on 16 September 2008. The images provide a glimpse behind the scenes at this Royal chapel, and include Garter Day. They are taken from her book St George's Chapel, Windsor: a Portrait.

The exhibition will transfer to the College of Arms, where it opens on 17 October and runs until 31 October. Opening hours Monday to Friday, 10 am to 4 pm; admission free.

Welcome to the eighteenth edition of the College of Arms Newsletter.

The Worshipful Company of Security Professionals: On 2 May 2008 this company became the City of London's newest Livery Company. It received its certificate of Livery from the Lord Mayor in a ceremony at the Mansion House; on the same day at Guildhall William Hunt, Windsor Herald, presented the Letters Patent by which the Company was granted Supporters to its Arms. The Letters Patent, which were signed and sealed by Garter King of Arms, are dated 1 August 2007. College reference: Grants 173/14.

Arms: Party per fess indented acute Or and Azure three Portcullises chained counterchanged.

Crest: Upon a Helm with a Wreath Or and Azure A Unicorn forcene Argent armed maned tufted and unguled Or the dexter forehoof enfiling the hasp of a Padlock Azure the sinister supporting a Terrestrial Globe Or the oceans Azure. Mantled Azure doubled Or. Badge (not shown): A Portcullis chained Or within an Annulet the outer edge potenty Azure.

The new Supporters are blazoned On the dexter a Dragon Azure armed langued winged and gorged with a plain Collar attached thereto a Chain reflexed over the back and holding in the sinister foreclaws a Key wards uppermost Or on the sinister a Griffin Azure armed langued beaked winged and holding in the dexter claws a Lightning Flash Or.

Welcome to the seventeenth edition of the College of Arms Newsletter

Arms of Bonnington Group PlcBonnington Group Plc: a grant of Arms, Crest, Badge and Supporters was made to this long-established company of hoteliers by Letters Patent of Garter, Clarenceux and Norroy and Ulster Kings of Arms dated 1 October 2007. The patent recites the history of the company from its incorporation and acquisition in 1909 of The Bonnington Hotel in London. College reference: Grants 172/343.

The Arms are blazoned: Azure on a Pall reversed between in chief two Fire-steels palewise the striking edges inwards that to the sinister reversed Or a Pall reversed Gules.

Crest: Upon a Helm with a Wreath Or and Gules An Elephant statant Gules holding in the trunk a Torch Or enflamed proper.

Badge: A Torch Azure enflamed proper between two Fire-steels palewise the striking edges inwards that to the sinister reversed Or.

Supporters: To the dexter a Badger and to the sinister a Beaver Or each holding in the interior forefoot a Torch Azure enflamed proper.
Motto: SEMPER ACCEPTUS

Welcome to the sixteenth edition of the College of Arms Newsletter.

Conyngham–Heard–Phillipps Pedigrees: the White Lion Society has most generously given to the College of Arms three substantial manuscript volumes dating from the early seventeenth century, which contain over 3,000 pedigrees, together with an alphabet of Arms. They include annotations and augmentations by Sir Isaac Heard, Garter King of Arms, who acquired them in 1781, and by Sir Thomas Phillipps, who owned them by about 1824.

Above, Conyngham-Heard-Phillipps Ms vol 1, pp. 284-5: pedigree of Brandon, in three hands or more.

Welcome to the fifteenth edition of the College of Arms Newsletter.

 portrait of Peter Le Neve (1661-1729)Peter Le Neve: illustrated left is a portrait of Peter Le Neve (1661-1729), successively Rouge Croix Pursuivant, Richmond Herald and Norroy King of Arms, which is currently on loan from the College of Arms to the exhibition Making History: Antiquaries in Britain 1707-2007 at the Royal Academy of Arts. The exhibition, which has been curated jointly by the Royal Academy and the Society of Antiquaries of London, explores the work and achievements of that society since its foundation in the early eighteenth century. Le Neve, a noted antiquary and collector of manuscripts, was the first Chairman of the society when it was founded in 1707 and its first President in 1717. The exhibition runs from 15 September to 2 December 2007.
The portrait, which has been attributed to George Vertue, shows Peter Le Neve in his tabard of the Royal Arms of Queen Anne, wearing a collar of SS. His own coat of arms is shown in the upper left of the canvas: Argent on a Cross Sable five Fleurs de Lys, in the canton a Crescent for difference, impaled by the Arms of office of Norroy King of Arms.

By decision of the College of Arms all proceeds arising from the sale of The Armorial of Haiti will be donated to the international effort for the relief of Haiti
after the calamitous earthquake of 12 January 2010.

The College of Arms Newsletter is produced every three months and sent automatically and free to those who subscribe. Other benefits for those who submit their names in this way include advance notice of College of Arms events, relevant publications, and media appearances.

We use session cookies to improve your experience with our website. If you continue using our website without changing your settings, or accept, we'll assume you are happy to receive the cookies set. To find out more about how we use cookies, please read our privacy policy.
To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

I accept cookies from this site.