Proclamation of Accession of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II: On 8 February 1952, the Accession of The Queen was proclaimed by Garter King of Arms at St James's Palace; by Lancaster Herald at the site of the original Charing Cross; by Norroy and Ulster King of Arms at Temple Bar on the edge of the City of London; and at the Royal Exchange in the heart of the City. The heralds were accompanied by detachments of the Household Cavalry, with the State Trumpeters.
In 1988 the College of Arms published the first volume of A Catalogue of Manuscripts in the College of Arms: Collections, a substantial 600-page volume covering the earliest unofficial collections and including what is sometimes called the Old Library. It was always envisaged that the Catalogue would have a parallel Records series, covering the official registers of the College's work.
Welcome to the thirty-third edition of the College of Arms Newsletter.
Pictured left is the Connaught, on which Her Majesty’s United Kingdom and Canadian Heralds travelled during the Diamond Jubilee Thames Pageant on 3 June 2012. The aft section of the vessel is decorated with banners showing the badges of the heralds on board.
The sixtieth anniversary of the Queen's accession to the throne fell on 6 February 2012, and this summer sees a wide variety of events to mark Her Majesty's Diamond Jubilee. The main public celebrations took place on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th of June, and the Heralds or officers of arms participated in two of these events.